Friday 21 September 2012

kitchen part-1

Here, let me bore you with my house-reno thingy :D

They have started since 3rd September 2012 with focus on the kitchen and backyard area.The latest photos were taken last weekend. In reality, the back area now are walled up, plastered with cement and they have even installed window and door frames. Since the contractor said we might change our mind later (based on his experience la kot buat rumah orang sebelum ni), they left the area just like that and proceeded to the front area now.


 

Photos taken more or less from the same angle. This is going to be where I'd wash plates, pots and pans later and be better friends with kunyit garam cuka sos to whip up some dishes later InsyaAllah. I used to hang clothes and grow potted kunyit, halia and pandan here.And chased away cats shi**ing in my pots! And where I once tried to grow potatoes but failed miserably. Yeah, I am sentimental like that. Remembering all the details.

 


 

Backyard. Previously drying area. It will still be where I dry my clothes later. Difference : Then, dry outside, later, dry inside. Bringing the outside to inside, so to speak :D. I had meant to buy a dryer but it would be pretty cramp in there if I do. Unless I change into front-loading type of washing machine, which you can stack the dryer on top. Currently we are using top-loading type and it is working well as it should be despite one broken hinges. 8 years-old and still proudly serving. Rasa macam tak patut pulak tukar lain kan. Plan to place that washing machine against the wall in front and do some shelving for storage of detergent and what-nots. Plan to install retractable clothes line on the right wall and a small ceiling fan. But see la how it goes nanti.I had thought it was going to be wider but it seems a tad bit too narrow. Less than 5f wide there.

 

They've taken out the window frame, walled it up and hacked a hole higher up for ventilation purpose. I moved away the window because am gonna need the wall for my retractable clothes line.That's my husband in black tee btw.

 

 

Work in progress. As planned. The weather has been good and kind enough to us so far. Alhamdulillah. As for the kitchen and backyard area, next step is to plan for cabinetry and placement of all electrical kitchen appliances. I want an effective and efficient arrangement so we don't need to mind extensions and rolls of wires here and there.

I foresee the kitchen area will be the most difficult area to plan especially when we have 2 'weird' spots. And may be the most fund-acquiring given the need of cabinetry and appliances. I'll share later of the 2 'weirdos'!

Apart from financial challenges this house-reno thingy presents us, it also tests communication between us, me and Tebby. Despite having been married for 12 years now, we still have our differences. The challenge is to find a point where we can reconcile. As for now he manages the bigger things, you know, financial stuff, communication with contractors, materials while I whine at how inappropriately high the electrical plugs are or how they have wrongly installed the window frame or why I need two plugs and not one :D  :D


8 comments:

  1. Kak, plan the plugs betul2...otherwise pasang plug yg buleh tambah2 tu..which saya konon nak buat tapi x buat....ape ntah namanya..eubig kalo tak silap..

    ReplyDelete
  2. dannn tiles dapur seharusnya yang industry heavy type.. maknanya kalau jatuh pinggan ke later, takde la berlekok tiles tu.

    i am currently hacking my 2 bathrooms due to leaking.. sobss.. one advise, make sure the piping is alright, else suffer like me. dan tiles bathroom buat warna gelap agar di kemudian hari tidak la nampak kusam tilesnya

    ReplyDelete
  3. CT ~ needs vs wants, money vs budget kekdahnya :D rasa nya we'll opt for normal plug aje. that's why need to plan properly.

    aida ~ am planning to use tiles kat porch for my kitchen. absurd it may sound but i am quite determined hihi. how much does it cost for one bathroom? contractor quoted us around 4k for hacking, piping, waterproofing and retiling. dia nak bagi plaster ceiling foc kat dalam toilet but we passed that one. no budget to redo 3 toilets. just buat 2 je.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if RM 4k... that's very cheap lah kak since the contractor wants to do for 2 toilets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kak tie, tiles porch mmg sgt sesuai untuk pakai di dapur (that's what i meant for industry heavy type)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aida ~ RM4k for one bathroom :P we KIV that first. need to prioritize. if not, habislah berguguran rambut semua hihi..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, 4k not bad even for 1 bathroom

    ReplyDelete
  8. really? kira murah ke tu? kalau murah nak hasut suami balik kang hihi

    ReplyDelete