Tuesday 22 January 2013

numero thirteen - tragedy Sausage Roll

Decided to give the new oven a trial run. I've been excitedly announcing the things I planned to cook using the oven eversince we bought it, little that I know my eldest has been keeping a record of it! :D

So, after rummaging through bags and drawers (dah pindah but belum setel kemas barang), I found the manual and started reading (and scratching my head), I decided with numero thirteen menu on the list - Sausage Roll.

Oh ya, I must warned that I am a little hopeless in the kitchen, especially when it comes to baking. When I was in secondary school, I was taught the subject SRT - Sains Rumah Tangga. There was one time we were baking basic cake. I thought things were going on well. The right temperature, the correct amount of things and appropriate way of mixing things. It was golden brown and was smelling nice. After it has been cooled down a bit, I turned the baking pan upside down and plopppp.. the inside went out. The outer remain intact but with a big hole on its bottom! Like a shell. The inside was obviously still tak masak. My SRT teacher was a garang woman so I decided to just put the shell with nothing inside on the plate and the teacher complimented me that I freaked out she might want to cut a slice of it. Thank God she didn't!

That was what,.... 25 years ago? Fast forward 25 years, things hasn't change much *ahem*

It says flour, margarine, water, salt, sugar, yeast, fresh milk... knead until a soft and elastic dough is formed.
It says 180d for 20 minutes.
It also says - the temperature however depends on your oven, the size of it, how many rolls you put inside as well as the type of baking pan.
I say - ?????, api atas bawah? kipas or not? *pengsan* and the dough.. how soft is soft enough and at what level of elasticity should I stop kneading?

I decided to try it out anyway. Afterall, perjalanan 1000 batu bermula dengan langkah pertama. Right?

After 20 minutes, these came out!
Told you, things hasn't change much over the years.
Me and oven *sigh*


Yang, I makan 2 ketul Yang. Moral support for you.
Kids, makan roti Ummi ni. Show your mother some support. Abah dah support Ummi. Dah makan dua.
Kakak said those are good but knowing her, she'll always try to jaga my hati. Proof - petang tu she gobbled up plates and plates of sushi during our family outing :P

Anyway, after fb-ing on the matter and googling for information (which should've been done before and not after the tragedy anyway), I can conclude few things.
1. Temperature should be 160d - 170d C
2. Baking time should be just 10-12 minutes only
3. Don't be gelojoh, wait to proof the second time for 30-45 minutes and not errr... 25 minutes. Or until those has doubled their size.
4. Don't mix yeast with salt directly.

Am so gonna try this again and Yang, yes, I might need your moral support again the next time around. And perhaps for many more times to come so bear with me :D



2 comments: