Thursday 3 October 2013

sausage rolls - revisited

Come meet my new love - a tough, good looking Artisan Kitchen Aid Mixer. We're still in the midst of getting to know each other but lets just say I can already feel the chemistry between us and this is going to be a long lasting relationship.

Tebby got me this for my 39th Birthday. I told him I wanted this and he agreed (almost) right there and then. He picked this flaming, sexy empire red color and made the order. We went through the hassle at the customs together and finally this week, I managed to get hand in hand with this baby - kneading dough for bread! ... baru beli power transformer sebenarnya :D


I was thinking to wait until the weekend coz it is time consuming to do bread with the double proofing and all. The anticipation was too much that I gave in last night he he. I revisited my Sausage Roll (my hangit, keras kejung Sausage Roll experiment, read here)

The original recipe here. I opted for this one coz it involves only one proofing (dah la tak reti buat roti tapi nak mendiva tak nak buat proofing two times like suggested by most recipes huh)

In a bowl, mix..
2 cups flour 
(I used multipurpose flour)
11 gms dried yeast which is equivalent to .38 ounces 
(original recipe says .25 ounce which is 7 gms - mendiva lagi sekali tak ikut arahan.. sepeket mauripan tu 11 gms so tuang aje semua)
2 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt

In a pan, mix and heat up..
60 gms butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
You may want to do this first coz it needs to cool down a bit but keep it warm. Kang mati pulak yeast kalau panas-panas sangat, tak naik roti. Kalau sejuk sangat lambat nak naik coz aktiviti yeast is better when it is warm. Ni soalan pass-years UPSR selalu keluar pasal yeast ni

Add butter mixture to flour mixture and give it some kneading.
Add an egg.

And add bit by bit 2 - 2 1/2 cups of flour.
(so in total we use 4 - 4 1/2 cup flour, get it?)
I let it kneaded for 5 minutes only. Should extend to 8-10 minutes for softer bread. It will 'collect' the flour and slowly turns into a beautiful dough until it doesn't stick to the bowl.

Then work your dough on a slightly floured surface. I divided mine into several mini balls. Rolled each ball into thin strip and wrapped sausage with it. I have extra mini balls (not enough sausage) that we made into mini raisin buns. I used we coz the boys came to help and I had so much fun that I had totally forgotten to snap any pictures -__-

Proof for 30 minutes (recipe says wait until 30 minutes or until it doubles in size). Just before baking, I brushed these babies with fresh milk. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 160d, fan assisted, top and bottom heat. 

A tad bit too dull looking huh. My friends cakap brush with melted butter for that shiny sexy finishing. Some said before baking, some said right after baking. Perhaps I should do both next time he he for that extra shiny, extra sexy finishing...

The output... tadaaaa! Alhamdulillah, soft and most importantly, very,.. very,.. very edible.Wayyy better than my first trial and still lots to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment