Thursday 21 March 2013

project 6 - Banana Macadamia Muffin

My baking project last weekend :D. Project Numero 5 *flips hair*

Although muffin is relatively simple to make (from my reading, I've never baked muffins prior to this Banana Macadamia Muffin), it was a dup-dap dup-dap dup dap experience for me. Berdebar okeh!

I googled for recipe (albeit having bought a recipe book on muffins!). Finally shortlisted to Nigella's and Joy of Baking's. After pondering on the complexity level, I opted of Joy of Baking's. Reasons - lesser ingredients :D And Banana Muffin recipe from Joy of Baking has a video demo as well. Plus point :D

I kept checking the progress once they are in the oven :D How annoying kan. Naik ke tak?
Are they baking secara adil dan saksama or not?
Dalam dah masak ke?

When they swell into these panoramic hilly view, I literally jumped with joy!

And another plus point of muffin, tak perlu nak keluarkan electric mixer bcoz it requires minimal beating of eggs and teknik kaup-balik only (I'm the Sains Rumahtangga generation remember? Please don't translate fold in flour into mixture kepada lipatkan tepung dalam adunan. How can one lipat tepung??)


My muffin sulung! Banana Macadamia Muffin. Kids love these :D

Ingredients: -
1. 1 cup of macadamia - recipe says walnut or pecan but all I had at home was macadamia.
2. 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
3. 1 tsp of baking powder
4. 1/4 tsp of soda bicarbonate
5. 3/4 cup of caster sugar - recipe says fine granulated sugar
(1-5 - dry ingredients)
6. 2 eggs - lightly beated
7. 1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted and cooled
8. 1 tsp vanilla extract
9. 3 large banana - mashed

Method
Dry ingredients: -
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder and soda bicarbonate.
- Mix macadamia and sugar with sifted ingredients.

Wet ingredients
- Add butter and vanilla extract to beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Fold in mashed banana into butter and egg mixture.

- Fold dry ingredients mixture into wet ingredients. Do not overdo this step as it would toughen your muffin (from my reading). It's okay if it appears a little lumpy.
- Spoon into greased muffin tray until 2/3 full. I used paper cups instead. Bake for 20 minutes in 165-170d.


By the time I am done with this entry, I have made another version of muffin - using the same ingredients but substituted mashed banana with blueberry filling (from my disastrous attempt of making a baked version of a blueberry cheesecake!) So brace yourselves for more muffin updates these days. Until I am done with this muffin phase hi hi ! 



1 comment: