Friday 23 November 2012

tips (.. and tricks!)

When your child refuses to do it the conventional way of sitting and learning through books, it calls for a trick or two :D

I notice my two boys fall into that category. When Iman was about Adam's age, he was like that. Refused to sit still and learn. But I was more concerned of his social skill back then. At almost 5, he wasn't speaking yet, let alone other skill like reading and counting. But like I said many times before, tiada yang sia-sia, semua kan ada hikmahnya. I learn a lot through him. Things not on books and papers.

Adam has similar traits. He's one bouncing ball. Always on the move :D Well, Iman still is, especially when he's not hooked on this things-imagine on the net! Take away that iPad from him, he'd go jumping, running, climbing, walking around - bottomline, always on the move. But Adam has acquired those social skills appropriate for a boy his age. He speaks in clear sentences, he gets around people easily (and wraps us around his little finger as well! :P), he recites dua and short surah. Alhamdulillah.

Anyway, back to my original track. People my age sidetrack easily huh?


I decided that from the look of it, Adam is ready for a more serious reading. When my elder two are at the table doing homework or revision, he's one busy boy with books, colors and all :D And asks a lot of questions too! If Kakak books a seat on my right and Iman on my left. He has this seat beside Iman on my left :D But first things first - the foundation of reading - spelling!

I can see he's not so keen on learning spelling via books so it calls for some creativity. I also believe every child foundation years should be fun, fun and fun!

I start with the basic phonics (as per book Bacalah Sayang) - a, i, u - in small letters. Cut out the alphabet a i and u in small pieces, about four pieces for each letter. I used two different colors of card.


3 cards of different colors. Not only it was fun to play with medley of colors, at the same time boleh ajar warna as well. Adam has no problem with colors, he knows all 12 basic colors in his pencil color box. But for the fun of it, I used different colors.


The home-made flash card. Yellow on blue. Letter a i and u on each card.This is my sempoi teaching kit :D

My student! Personal and private class lagi! Gosh, my bakul of unfolded laundry back there ha ha. Prioritize! Laundry can wait, no?

Adam, mana a? Ummi nak a yang warna yellow. Tampal atas kertas biru.
Took an a and paste.

Adam, mana u?
Pasted u.
Mana u lagi?
Pasted again.
Smile.
Finish one card.


On his second card. Grey. Learning is also about repeating so I made 3 cards. 

Third card. Orange. He insisted on bubuh gam sendiri. Cikgu dah malas ha ha.

There, done. All three. Correctly pasted based on my instruction.
Pink on grey, yellow on grey.
Yellow on blue.
Yellow on orange, pink on orange.



He insisted that I take photos of him with each card that he did.



................... as well as the flash card that I used to teach him :P.. layan...

Yayy, I'm the winner.
Yes you are my dear.

Uiks, kurusnya Adik, nampak tulang rusuk.
.
.
.
.
Oh my, my laundry back there! Prioritize ha ha.


2 comments:

  1. Waaaa bagusnya!!!! Great mom u r...:) saya suka activity mcm ni...

    ReplyDelete
  2. CT ~ kena rajin cari jalan lain sebab dia susah nak duduk belajar eja from books huhu. now cuti sekolah, less stress with the elder 2 homework, ada masa nak buat semua ni :D nanti akak share lagi. byk dah buat dengan Iman dulu jugak sebenarnya.

    ReplyDelete