Monday 11 February 2013

Bread Pudding with Pineapple Bits Sauce

Baking challenge - numero trois!

A little burnt but deliciously edible (by my standard that is!). My baker-friends suggested that I use Gardenia's Butterscotch but I opted for white ones. A good way to end my nearing-expiry bread anyway :D

This is my my first time doing bread pudding but indeed my first time doing the baked version. I made steamed version maybe well,.. twice or thrice before. Opted for white bread. I halved the milk (from its original recipe) and substituted that portion with sour cream (balance from a disastrous cheese-cake baking session. I do not even have the heart to ramble about it here ha ha). I lessened the eggs (in original recipe) from 6 to 3. I did not have green apples that I wished I had so I couldn't place thinly sliced apples in between the bread. Instead, raisins.

For the pudding,
1. 8-10 slices of bread (I cut away the crust), arrange in a casserole with raisins in-between layers
2. 3 eggs
3. 1 cup of fresh milk
4. 1 cup of sour cream
5. 3/4 cup of sugar 
6. 1 tsp of vanilla extract

Whisk eggs, milk, sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Pour into casserole containing bread and let it soak for about an hour. Bake at 170d for 30 minutes.

I did a little twist with the sauce. Added up pineapple bits (canned Dole's) to this light custard mixture. For this sauce you'll need..

1. 2 cups of fresh milk
2. 2 tbsp of custard powder - mix with some fresh milk
3. 1/2 cup sugar
4. Pineapple bits from a can - strain

Bring fresh milk to a simmer and then add sugar. Then slowly add custard mixture. Keep on stirring until the custard mixture dissolves and later becomes a little thicker. Add pineapple bits and stir until you reach your desired consistency. I prefer it light.

Taaadaaaa! Bread Pudding with Pineapple Bits Sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment